|The Mighty Elderberry|
During August and possibly September (end of summer towards autumn) is the best time to collect your elderberries. Make sure to collect them when they are deep purple up to the point of almost being a prune is best, but you may not even get that chance if the birds have anything to do with it.
|My Autumn Harvest|
Elderberries have been used for centuries as a healer, from improving eyesight colds, flu, cough, cholesterol, nerve pain, inflammation, sinus issues, constipation, chronic fatigue and even cancer.
Its antioxidant levels are through the roof, it is a real powerhouse to promote good health for the health conscious.
|Cleaning Process in water with white vinegar|
Here are a couple of homemade simple recipes below:
|Cleaned and any green berries removed|
If you don't fancy making it, purchase yours ready made here
1 cup elderberry syrup
½ cup hot water (not boiling)
¼ cup Gelatin powder
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil for greasing pan
Glass container or silicon molds
- Grease molds or glass pan with coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Place ¼ cup of cooled elderberry syrup in a 2 cup measuring cup and add gelatin powder.
- Quickly whisk together to temper the gelatin powder.
- Add the ½ cup of hot (not boiling) water and stir quickly until smooth
- Add the rest of the elderberry syrup and stir or whisk until completely smooth.
- Pour in to molds and put in fridge for 2 hours or until completely firm.
- Pop out of molds and store in air tight container with parchment paper between layers.
- Take daily as needed to avoid flu or take every few hours to help beat the flu faster.
- Will last up to a week in the fridge in an air tight container.
History of Elderberry
Elderberry Precautions and Possible Interactions
Elder offers protection from hostility to the user and to the home from storm damage and other extremes of weather. It brings health, wealth and happiness, and especially marital joy to a new bride or groom. Can be used for Exorcism, Prosperity, Banishment and HealingPlanet: Venus
Symbolism: Judgment, Transformation, Death & Regeneration, Fate, The Inevitable
Five: each elderflower has 5 petals, 5 yellow stamens, and 5 sepals which form a tiny green star.
The leaves and berries are used for protection and in breaking spells that were cast against you or to undo spells of evil intent. Growing an elder in your garden will protect your property from misfortune and harm. In Europe they planted elder in cemeteries to keep away the evil spirits.